Industrial and urban symbiosis involves collaborations among diverse actors and sectors that deliver environmental, business and development benefits by creating improved value from secondary resources and by fostering product and process innovations. In Sweden, private and public organisations are increasingly interested in actively supporting IUS developments. The Swedish Network for Industrial and Urban Symbiosis aims to assist such efforts through improved communication and cooperation among businesses, public bodies, and knowledge institutions working with the concept .
Specific objectives of the network include:
- Facilitating knowledge and experience exchange among relevant actors and regions;
- Capacitating actors interested in supporting IUS development in local/regional contexts;
- Extracting and disseminating lessons from operational networks and/or development efforts;
- Conducting research in relevant fields and disseminating results to key actors;
- Raising awareness about Swedish IUS practices at national, nordic and international arenas.