Fifth SNIUS meeting in Karlstad
The fifth SNIUS event was jointly organised by network members Paper Province, Linköping University, and Sotenäs Kommun and hosted by Paper Province on 5-6 December in Karlstad. In addition to the organisers, more than 40 representatives from agencies (including Swedish Ministry of Trade and Industry, Swedish Innovation Agency (Vinnova), County administration boards of Värmland and Örebro regions), industry (including Stora Enso Skogshall Mill, Econova, Gasum, WA3RM, RagnSells, and Karlstad Energi), city administrators from Malmö, Gothenburg and Karlstad, knowledge institutions (including Karlstad Univeristy, RISE, and IVL) and the Re:Source strategic innovation program joined the event. The participants reinforced the important potential of Industrial and Urban Symbiosis (IUS) for business competitiveness, for sustainable urban development and for progress towards bio-based and circular-economies. They exchanged knowledge and experiences and formulated new ideas and strategies for scaling up IUS practices in Sweden. A study visit to Stora Enso Skoghalls Mill gave the participants valuable insights on some of the symbiotic activities connected to a modern pulp and paper mill. Six of the event participants agreeing to develop a new project, in a triple helix structure, was a particularly valuable outcome of the event. Follow-up steps towards initiation of this project, which will explore new potentials to advance IUS in the Karlstad area, are already taken. Speaker presentations can be accessed below and further information about the event from Paper Province is available here.
- SNIUS – Where we come from, what we are, and what we want to become, Murat Mirata, Linköping University;
- Nya affärsmodeller för industriell symbios – Sofie Lärkhammar, Gasum AB;
- Regenerative industry development, Fredrik Indebetou, WA3RM AB;
- Examples of on-going IUS projects in Sweden – Murat Mirata, Linköping University;
- Regional Samverken –Stora Enso Skoghalls Bruk, Margareta Sandström, Stoghalls Mill.
- Nya produkter ur skogsindutriella avlopsvatten, möjligt med industriell symbios – Bioplast, vätgas, fiskmat, gödning för skogmark, Maria Sandberg, Karlstad University.
- Wermlands Mejeri – Från en ko nära dig, Niklas Johansson, Wermlands Mejeri;
- Industrisymbiosernas historia, nutid och framtid –hur stärker vi konkurrenskraft och hållbarhet samtidigt, Mats Eklund, Linköping University;
- Innovationer för effektivare användning av resurser i samhälle och näringsliv – Vad händer inom Re:Source, Johan Felix, RE:Source strategic innovation program.
Fourth SNIUS meeting in Sotenäs
- Member of SNIUS had a lunch-to-lunch meeting in Sotenäs on 11-12 September 2017. The meeting was jointly organised bySotenäs Kommun, Linköping University and Hifab and was hosted by Sotenäs Symbioscentrum. More than 40 people representing 32 private and public took active part in the event, which included presentations from practitioners and researchers, a panel discussion, site visits, as well as a workshop session focusing on local/regional and national level challenges and enablers of industrial and urban symbiosis developments in Sweden. Material from different parts of the event can be downloaded below:
- Sotenäs Symbioscentrum – Leif Andreasson, Peter Carlsson
- Swedish Algae Factory – Sofie Allert
- EON – Owe Jönsson
- Industriell symbios, cirkulär ekonomi och biobaserad ekonomi – Mats Eklund, Linköping University
- Regional Institutional capacity for Industrial and Urban Symbiosis – Murat Mirata, Linköping University
- Urban och industriell symbios i Malmö – Jonas Kamleh
- Anteckningar workshops kraftsamling – 12 september 2017